Sanitary and Storm Sewer Televising
Starting in early January, the City’s Contractor will begin cleaning and televising the City-owned sanitary and storm sewer systems located within the Central Business District.
Routine cleaning is a vital component of maintaining the existing sewer system to its maximum effectiveness and capacity. Televising involves sending specially made waterproof video cameras through the sewer system for a visual inspection. By televising, the program allows the City to evaluate the sewer condition and identify deteriorated segments of the sewer main that may need repair as part of future projects.
The City Council approved an updated Central Business District Chapter in August 2023 as a next step in moving toward a fully updated Comprehensive Land Use Plan. The Council identified priorities for short term and longer-term action, the first of which is evaluating existing infrastructure and identifying needs for future maintenance, upgrades, or replacement of some components of the systems. This information will be used in the City’s Capital Improvement process to assure that adequate funding is set aside for infrastructure in the years ahead to support existing and future development.
Work is expected to begin the week of Monday, January 8, 2024 and last around one month (weather permitting).
The sewer televising will take place in the Central Business District, focusing in the commercial areas located between Vine Avenue and Woodland Road, and Oakwood Avenue and Western Avenue.
What to Expect
- Cleaning and televising sewers does not impact use, so there’s no disruption to service.
- A large vactor truck will clean the sewer using a high-pressure hose. Then, a video camera will run through the pipe to document structural or maintenance defects.
- The vehicles will work for a few hours per block before moving to the next location.
- Two-way traffic will generally be maintained around the work vehicles.
- Work will typically occur Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 am and 4 pm with occasional weekend work, if needed.
Contact Superintendent of Engineering Byron Kutz at email@example.com or (847) 810-3555.