Fall Tree Care Tips
As you may know, our urban forest has faced some challenges due to insects, disease, and drought stress over the past few years. It is important that we take proper care of our trees during the fall and winter months, especially during these growing seasons that have been challenging. Taking proper care of our trees during the fall/winter will help protect and strengthen them for the future.
Here are some tips for fall tree care:
- Rake and remove fallen leaves to help reduce fungal diseases.
- Provide supplemental watering, especially for evergreens and newly planted trees.
- Fertilize to help maintain and strengthen the tree's vigor.
- Prune during the fall/winter months to eliminate hazardous deadwood and increase air circulation in the canopy to help decrease the possibility of fungal infections.
- Oaks and Elms can only be pruned from November 1 – March 30.
Feel free to contact Corey Wierema – City Forester, at (847) 810-3564 if you have any questions.